Extreme DAX: Take your Power BI and Microsoft data analytics skills to the next level
Author(s): Michiel Rozema, Henk Vlootman
Publisher: Packt Publishing, Year: 2022Description:
Discover the true power of DAX and build advanced DAX solutions for practical business scenarios
- Solve complex business problems within Microsoft BI tools including Power BI, SQL Server, and Excel
- Develop a conceptual understanding of critical business data modeling principles
- Learn the subtleties of Power BI data visualizations, evaluation context, context transition, and filtering
If you want to get the most out of Microsoft Business Intelligence tools, sooner or later you’ll need to master DAX. Extreme DAX enables business analysts to generate powerful and sophisticated analyses from their data.
You’ll learn the principles of business intelligence, good model design, and how DAX fits into it all. Then, you’ll launch into detailed examples of DAX in real-world business scenarios such as inventory calculations, forecasting, intercompany business, and data security. At each step, senior DAX experts will walk you through the subtleties involved in working with Power BI models and common mistakes to look out for as you build advanced data aggregations.
You’ll deepen your understanding of DAX functions, filters, and measures, and how and when they can be used to derive effective insights. Also provided with the book are PBIX files for each chapter for you to follow along with and explore in your own time.
What you will learn
- Understand data modeling concepts and structures before you start working with DAX
- Grasp how relationships in Power BI models are different from those in RDBMSes
- Secure aggregation levels, attributes, and hierarchies using PATH functions and row-level security
- Get to grips with the crucial concept of context
- Apply advanced context and filtering functions including TREATAS, GENERATE, and SUMMARIZE
- Explore dynamically changing visualizations with helper tables and dynamic labels and axes
- Work with week-based calendars and understand standard time-intelligence
- Evaluate investments intelligently with the XNPV and XIRR financial DAX functions